Friday 26 August 2011

Confession: I have way too many clothes.


Okay, so I admit; I am a clothes-aholic. I have been since I was 2 years old when I started dressing myself and found out how fun it is to express myself with clothes. That progressed to changing into multiple outfits throughout the day (and even through the night!) until I was a teenager. Thats when things really got out of hand; I started spending all of my allowance and any money I got from my job on anything fashion related.

The buck stops here, well not completely... but I am making a commitment to align my love of all things fashion with my values to love the earth, support local and STOP all of this ridiculous consuming! Honestly, one person does not need 17 pairs of jeans (even if they are different styles!). I've decided to make a change: less clothes, better quality. For years my husband has been bugging me to stop buying cheap, made in China (or Korea, Taiwan, Thailand etc.) clothes and buy good, made in North America, quality clothes. I've finally come around; I have changed so many aspects of my life to align with my values and this one area is so glaringly in juxtaposition to them. I buy clothes that I like (usually made in China), wear them a few times, then I am either sick of them or they have fallen apart.

My criteria for my wardrobe will be the following: Made in North America (or sometimes Europe), Practical; easy to walk, bike, LIVE in, Fashionable (sorry, this can't go!!!), and finally to buy/have fewer, but more high quality things. Essentially the old: quality over quantity adage. So I have cleared out the crap from my closet (around 15 pairs of those jeans that I could barely move in) to be taken to a consignment shop , and purchased 3 new things to round out my wardrobe. Surprisingly, there are quite a few shops around town that fit the criteria, here's what I got: A pair of made in Canada Second Yoga jeans, SUPER comfy and great for biking, a really great top by Ecoskin made in the USA for the fall that works for nursing, and finally, a really lovely pair of Swedish Hasbeens - they are made in Sweden, BUT they are handmade made with quality natural materials (alder wood and natural grain leather). So far I have been surprised by the plethora of stylish and sustainable clothing. I hope some of you mamas, and non mamas alike can make a change too!

4 comments:

  1. I was going to write a post about this too! It's so hard when you have no money but it's definitely something I am still going to work on since it's also so out of line with my values. Good job, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, do you have any luck with consignment stores? I took a bunch of my (lightly worn, nice label) clothes to a few before I moved and no one wanted anything! So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, just one more. We should host a clothes swap when I am home! All my clothes are still packed away over there, I want them to go to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can I go shopping before you give it all away?

    ReplyDelete