Wednesday 14 September 2011

Bug Zappers and Flu fighters


The seasons are changing, summer is nearing it's end and fall is on it's way. We went for a family bike ride the other day and for the first time, I had to wear pants! (I normally wear skirts of shorts, not no pants at all). I have always found that when the seasons change, everyone gets sick, we are all feeling a bit under the weather at our house, so we decided to take action. Starting with the above; The Bug Zapper, warm organic apple cider (we used santa cruz organic apple cider), grated ginger (as much as you can stand), and a juiced lemon. So warm and soothing on a sore throat. This recipe is loosely adapted from a Rebar Modern Food recipe

For dinner we made a spicy tortilla soup, lots of flu fighting spice due to the chipotle and 4 jalepeno peppers and lots of vitamin C thanks to the 2 organic red peppers. The soup also has cilantro, 10 garlic cloves, 2 yellow onions, vegetable broth, corn and homemade corn tortillas. Recipe from The Rebar Modern Food Cook book. If this doesn't kill a bug thats brewing, I don't know what will. Any pro tips on fighting those fall bugs?

3 comments:

  1. I need both of these! I am sick today. I usually do hot water with lemon and honey, but now I want to try the apple juice! Maybe I'll send Elliot to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been feeling the same! And I usually do just lemon/ginger/honey too. Think I might need to make some of this today. And that soup! I've just been getting back into the Rebar cookbook lately, I forgot how good it is. I made the Bhangra burritos the other day and they were really yums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm inspired by this me and elaina made gingery hot apple cider yesterday for our old granny knitting afternoon. It was perfect.

    ReplyDelete