Friday 11 November 2011

Books I recommend for Pregnancy, Labour and Parenting

Books: Pregnancy, Labour and Parenting

This is what is on my pregnancy, labour and parenting bookshelf. There are so many books out there that talk about all of the aspects of parenting and it is so hard to choose which ones to read. Generally what I like to do is find someone who's parenting style is similar to my own and ask them what they recommend. It can be really difficult to research parenting techniques and suggestions because so many books contradict each other, "do this but DON'T do that". I really think this turns people off from reading books on parenting all together and they end up going with the "go with the flow, follow my instincts" approach. Don't get me wrong, I think this approach is great but sometimes, you might come across something that you never thought of doing. I think research and opinions from other parents, doctors, and enthusiasts can be really helpful and by reading about the opinions, you can pick and choose which pieces of advice you want to put into practice in your own family. I also think reading a range of books from a lot of different sources with different sets of opinions can be really helpful. I know it seems like there is really no time to read when you are a new parent and this is how I would approach it: try to read and think about what parenting style and opinions you believe in BEFORE your baby comes. Pregnancy is a great time to research how you want your labour to be, what is your opinion on vaccines, what education would you like your child to have, what infant and child development activities can you do, how to help your baby sleep, and what traditions you want to start as a family. I know it seems overwhelming but you are going to want an opinion on this stuff, and if you can stay one step ahead you will be better off. If not, don't worry about it, just learn as you go. Leave your baby with it's dad, uncle, grand parents etc. and go to a coffee shop for an hour to read and relax. Books that are still unread on my bookshelf? Unconditional Parenting, I've heard this is a fantastic book and the ideas sound like they align really well with my parenting values, I can't wait to read it. Playful Parenting, Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves, The Absorbant Mind - my brother read this and said it is fascinating. Also, any woman (or man for that matter) should read Taking Charge of your Fertility, it has information about your body that everyone should know! What are your go-to parenting books?


No comments:

Post a Comment