Monday 3 October 2011

Yogurt!

                 

Lily is eight months old now and starting to try new foods. We've just introduced her to dairy; yogurt and cottage cheese. It is so hilarious seeing this new being try foods for the first time and documenting her reaction to things. I got some local organic full fat yogurt (I highly recommend using organic and always use full fat for babies!). We bought a big tub because I was sure she was going to love it. Well... not so much. The first bite she put in her mouth she promptly spit out, the second bite she spit out and then shivered, the third bite, well there was no third bite, she held her mouth closed so tight there was no way another bite was getting in there. The funny thing about this is, I just thought "Okay, well I guess she doesn't like yogurt" but when I started reading about babies trying new foods I discovered that it sometimes takes ten times of trying something before they get used to the taste. The next morning I tried again and she went crazy for it, I couldn't spoon it in fast enough and in between bites she was saying "mmmmm". Ever since then we've added yogurt to our regular breakfast line-up, it is probably her new favorite food. No sweetener, no fruit added, nothing, just plain yogurt.

*how does this fit into baby led weaning? It doesn't really, though I sometimes let her use her own spoon which almost never ends up in her mouth. We were okay not sticking strictly with baby led weaning for a few things because she already has such a good "grasp" on picking up and eating her own food.

No comments:

Post a Comment